Sleep problems are a nightmare for many of us, the causes are diverse: stress, poor digestion, nervousness, diet, noise or light pollution, emotions... What to do when finding sleep becomes a struggle and insomnia spoils our lives? Here are a few tips to help you fall asleep and get a good night's sleep with aromatherapy.
Facilitate falling asleep and find a serene sleep with aromatherapy.
Aromatherapy offers us different ways to put ourselves in the best conditions for a good night's rest:
Dissemination One hour before bedtime, diffuse soothing organic essential oils such as red mandarin, fine lavender, sweet orange, petit grain, marjoram or our serenity aroma synergy in the bedroom for 15 minutes.
Never operate your diffuser while you are sleeping.
2. Drinks with hydrosols or essential oils
In the evening, drink a cup or two of "white coffee": in a cup of hot water (or plant milk), add a teaspoon of orange blossom hydrosol, to be savoured to soothe yourself.
You can also add a teaspoon of a fine lavender, Roman chamomile or verbena hydrosol to your glass of water, as well as calming you down these will work on your digestion.
You can mix 2 drops of sweet orange essential oil in a teaspoon of honey and add it to a cup of hot water before going to sleep. You can also combine this type of mixture with an herbal sleep tea.
For toddlers, from the age of 6 months, you can put a teaspoon of orange blossom hydrosol in the evening bottle.
3. Chasing away night-time thoughts
We reveal the trick of Sylviane, in charge of orders at Bioflore: when the ideas turn in loop in her head and prevent her from falling asleep, she uses the essential oil of marjoram. She usually puts a drop of marjoram essential oil on her wrists or solar plexus or breathes it into a handkerchief when she can't get the thoughts out of her head. Be careful, this essential oil can be irritating for some people, so always do the elbow test before use and dilute it in a vegetable oil if necessary.
Our vervain roll-on can also help you, put it on your wrists and breathe it in to stop the swirling stream of thoughts that prevent you from getting to sleep.
Before falling asleep, apply the Roman chamomile or verbena roll-on to your wrists and breathe in deeply with your wrists in front of your nose.
Similarly, you can place a few drops of tangerine essential oil on a handkerchief or pocket inhaler, to breathe in to calm down.
5. Localized massage with serenity aroma fluid
Before going to bed, you can also massage the solar plexus and the back of the neck with the serenity aroma fluid synergy, which is very soothing in case of stress, agitation and anxiety.
6. For children
You can diffuse red mandarin essential oil in a child's room (not before 18 months), one hour before bedtime, for 15 minutes.
From the age of 3 months, you can also use lavender hydrosol as a pillow mist to be sprayed in the air above the bed or Roman chamomile hydrosol.
Some lifestyle tips for healthy sleep
- Avoid strenuous physical activity in the evening
- Avoid excitatory drinks or food, avoid drinking coffee after 1pm
- Limit and if possible remove screens at least two hours before bedtime
- Choose quiet activities in the evening
- Remember to air the room regularly
- Ideal room temperature for a good night's sleep: between 18 and 20°C
- Eat a light dinner, not too late and avoid animal proteins in the evening
- The advice shared in this article is not a substitute for medical advice and is intended for adults only (unless explicitly stated for children). Before using essential oils, always read their precautions for use.